Monday, April 11, 2011

Coconut Cupcakes

I had a special request a few weeks ago at project night for coconut cake. Since I had a few other projects going on at the same time, I ended up making coconut cupcakes instead.  There are so many coconut cake recipes out there that only have coconut frosting, but I was looking for a nicely flavored coconut cake.  I mean really, can you call it a coconut cake if it is just sprinkled with coconut on the outside?  This recipe I found from Martha Stewart, combines both shredded coconut and coconut milk for an amazing coconut flavor without being overwhelming.  Her recommendation is to make a seven minute frosting, but I have always been told that kind of frosting needs to be eaten the same day and I was looking for something that could easily sit overnight.  I chose a cream cheese frosting, using coconut water for a bit of coconut flavor instead of just plain water.

I tried to be ambitious and make my own fresh coconut curls, but I ran out of time.  These cupcakes are topped with store bought, sweetened shredded coconut.  If I were to make them again, I think I would like to try and make some cute pineapple flowers for the top.

Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 teaspoons coconut water (or coconut milk) (you may need more or less depending on the consistency you are looking for)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (you can use coconut extract here for extra punch, I don't have any)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails