Monday, May 10, 2010

Blueberry Dessert

When I was a kid, my parents did a major remodeling job on our house.  Every spare moment, my father was reconstructing our rundown farmhouse into their dream.  They did all of the work themselves, with the assistance from various family members.  As a thank you to whomever was helping us that weekend, my mom would always fix a delicious lunch.  However, because she was helping my dad work, the lunch needed to be prepared ahead of time. This blueberry dessert was fast, easy, and tasty.  It also could be made the day before and ended up being one of my uncle's favorite desserts.

This is also the dessert that taught me what confectioner's sugar was.  I had never seen that particular nomenclature for powdered sugar when I was younger and so I assumed it meant granulated sugar.  It did not.  It was the grittiest pie my family had ever tasted!  But they are good people and ate it anyway.

The other day my grandmother called all of us together for a work day at her house.  She needed some painting, window washing, and general repairs done on her house.  My mom made lunch and I was asked to bring dessert.  I chose the blueberry dessert because it fast, tasty, and could be made the day ahead of time so that no time would be taken from work to prepare food.

Blueberry Dessert

1 10 inch Graham Cracker Pie Crust (this time I cheated and bought one, however I typically make them)

Filling:
2 Cups Confectioner's sugar
8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
1 package Dream Whip already made up (Dream Whip is a whipped non-dairy topping that is made from a powder and milk.  You can probably substitute whipped cream or Cool Whip with good results)

1 Can Blueberry Pie Filling (or pie filling of your choice, my dad prefers cherry)

Mix together ingredients for filling.  Pour into pie shell.  Pour pie filling over the top.  Refrigerate.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails