Monday, April 5, 2010

No Knead Bread

I know, I know, everyone has posted about no knead bread.  Up to this point I have ignored all the hype about no knead bread.  To me, it felt like a cop out.  Like I wasn't putting enough effort into the bread by not kneading it, how could it possibly be as good?  But it is GOOD.  Really really good.  I was totally stunned.  This beautiful crusty loaf with a soft chewy middle actually required very little effort on my part.  Now, you do need to do a bit of planning because it is yeast bread and does have more than just one step.  However, your efforts will be rewarded.  This loaf tastes like something from a restaurant.  It is delicious on its own, but puts me over the moon when eaten with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic.

I got this recipe from the April issue of Martha Stewart Living. (Yes, I read the actual magazine...the photographs are just amazing!)  She was doing and interview with Jim Lahey, coauthor of My Bread.  This was the recipe he shared.

No Knead Bread-adapted from Martha Stewart Living
12 ounces bread flour
4.3 ounces whole wheat flour
1 1/4 teaspoons table salt
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
1 1/2 cups room temperature water

Stir ingredients together in a bowl.  Cover and leave at room temperature for 12 to 18 hours.  The next day, lightly knead the dough.  The dough will be stringy and sticky and so it is imperative to flour the bread board that you knead your bread on.  Shape into a boule and allow the dough to raise for another two hours.

Preheat your oven 475 degrees with the Dutch oven inside.  When the oven is sufficiently preheated then roll the dough into the hot Dutch oven.  Bake covered for 30 minutes and then uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.  The color of the crust is a nice dark brown.

Immediately remove the bread from the pan and allow to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails