Friday, June 4, 2010

Homemade Cheese and Pizza

I am not really sure what possessed me, but I recently got the bug to make homemade cheese.  My husband and I visited a dairy a few weeks back on the way home from his brother's graduation and I thought that the cheese that they made was absolutely divine.  Since I tend to find myself interested trying what I can make things from scratch, I thought cheese would be the perfect addition.

I looked around online a bit and found what seemed to be a fairly easy recipe for mozzarella cheese.  Perfect.  A nice soft cheese that tastes so much better fresh than in a block from the store.  Following the directions couldn't have been easier.  A gallon of whole milk, a little citric acid and rennet, a little salt and stretching and you have yourself some lovely homemade cheese.

My husband and I choose to use this homemade cheese to make some homemade pizza.  I have been struggling to find a pizza recipe that I really like.  The one from the Bread Baker's Apprentice is good, but takes two days to make and I rarely plan that far ahead.  My  mother had one, but oddly enough, it was too sweet.  Finally, I think that I have found my go-to.  Of course its from the Pioneer Woman.  I received her cookbook last Christmas from a former college roommate and decided to give it a whirl.  It was a good choice.  You can find it online here.  The dough was quick and easy.  It made enough for 2 pizzas so I was able to stick some in the freezer for another day.  It also baked up very nice and crispy, just what we look for in a pizza crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails