Monday, July 12, 2010

Scotch Ale Spent Grain Bread


I was recently lucky enough to acquire some spent brewer's grain from hard core home brewers that my husband works with. Rumor has it, this scotch ale that they make was amazing.  Not being a beer drinker myself, its hard to say, but the spent grain from this ale made fantastic bread.  The final product was a sweet and moist bread that was delicious on its own or paired with a little butter or cheese.  The best part about it, it is whole wheat.  I only used a few tablespoons of regular bread flour to soften it a touch and frankly, because I had run out of wheat flour.

I had enough spent grains to make two batches of this bread.  On the second round I tried making a rye soaker, but my husband and I both preferred the whole wheat soaker.  Ingredients like buttermilk, honey, and olive oil were added for flavor and softness.  Those can be omitted or reduced as desired.

I am going to submit this baby to Susan's weekly Yeast Spotting.  

SPENT GRAIN BREAD adapted from Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Bread

Soaker
8 ounces whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk

Mix ingredients together and leave covered overnight at room temperature.  I was unable to use it the next day so after being out overnight, the soaker was placed in the fridge for a couple of days.

Biga
8 ounces whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
3/4 cup water at room temperature

Mix ingredients together.  Knead for a few minutes.  Cover and place in the fridge.  I also had this in the fridge for a couple of days.

Final Dough
All of the soaker at room temperature
All of the biga at room temperature
4 ounces spent grains
2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons of honey
1 tablespoon extra light olive oil
5-7 tablespoons bread flour

Mix together all of the ingredients.  Once they come together in a ball, knead with the dough hook adding up to 7 tablespoons of bread flour as needed.  Allow mixture to rest for about 5-7 minutes and then knead until bread passes the windowpane test.  Allow to raise for about 1 hour.

Shape as desired.  I made this bread in a loaf pan and as a free standing loaf.  The dough is soft and does a bit better in a loaf pan.

Allow to raise again.  Heat oven to 450 degrees for 20 minutes and then turn temperature down to 350 degrees.  Bake bread at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails